Experience and Skills
The Commercial Loan Officer is responsible for
originating new commercial relationships and cross selling of existing
members throughout the Credit Union’s footprint. This position is
responsible for negotiating, analyzing and coordinating the closing of
large, complex loan transactions to business owners and in compliance
with the Credit Union’s lending policies and procedures. The
Commercial Loan Officer is responsible for proactive member portfolio
management, exceptional member service, and selling full commercial
banking solutions to business members. Must be familiar with all
aspects of the commercial lending process including loan structuring,
cash flow analysis, collateral analysis, government regulations, and compliance.
- Originate new commercial loans and deposit products for
prospective and existing business members.
- Participate in the business development activities of the Credit
Union on a continual basis.
- Identify appropriate prospects, create and manage an effective
prospect list and perform activities to insure growth in the
commercial loan portfolio.
- Continually serve our prospects and members through a consultative
selling, trusted-advisor role to assist them in recognizing and
addressing business opportunities and risks, and helping them
accomplish their goals while maximizing our effectiveness.
- Participate in the underwriting and documentation of the credit as required.
- Attends Commercial Loan Credit Committee as required with ability
to provide thoughtful feedback to the committee.
- Monitor the portfolio for credit quality. Understand, detect, and
report the early warning signs of problem credits so as to minimize
the risk of credit loss and to maintain appropriate risk ratings on
- Understand what differentiates Premier Members Credit Union from
other credit unions and commercial banks.
- Identify and maintain relationships with organizations and
agencies focused on community and economic development within the
communities we serve.
- Represent the Credit Union at various conferences and networking
events. Travel required (travel within Colorado 20% - 35% of the
time) to events and in person client meetings.
- Supports the mission of the Credit Union and the core values of
- Performs job functions in compliance with all Credit Union
policies, federal and state rules and regulations as applicable to
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field and/or 3+ years
related experience in a commercial lending environment.
- Proven ability to drive a business development effort individually
and as a part of a team.
- Represent the Credit Union in a positive manner at all times and
network outside the Credit Union.
- Experience implementing creative selling and innovative
- Ability to fully understand, analyze and structure various types
of commercial loan requests.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication required. Strong
presentation skills a plus.
- Strong relationship skills and the ability to influence business
and functional partners.
- Capability to multitask and work on a variety of projects and
teams is essential.
- Interpersonal Skills: Must be courteous, tactful, and diplomatic
in all aspects of the job. Work involves much personal contact with
others inside and/or outside the Credit Union, generally regarding
routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information
which may require some discussion.
- Must have knowledge of commercial lending, including cash flow and
spread sheet analysis.
- Must have strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills.
- Must have in-depth understanding of basic accounting and business
tax returns and financial statements.
- Must be able to operate all types of office equipment, travel
independently, and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be knowledgeable about the Credit Union’s history and philosophy.
This description has been reviewed to ensure that only essential
functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks,
only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded.
Essential functions, requirements, skills, and abilities included
have been determined to be the minimal standards required to
successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should
the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be
interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements
may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is
possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate
disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which
may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or
which impose undue hardships on the organization.
The Credit Union believes that each employee makes a significant
contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited
by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is
designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope,
but not limit the incumbent. It is our expectation that each
employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary
to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment
contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will
employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited
This Job Description is not a complete statement of all duties
and responsibilities comprising this position.